Sunday, May 31, 2009

A "Visit" and Economizing in today's Economy

Today we celebrate the feast of the "Visitation" and it has always made me reflect on how self-less Mary was. She found out Elizabeth was getting closer to her due date and she went to help her prepare for her new arrival. Mary gave of herself at a time when she could have withdrawn and thought of her own impending needs. The Blessed Mother is such a wonderful example for all of us to follow!
















As I begin my post mixed with humor and thought, let me start by saying that no matter what the state of our economy, Jesus is there to guide us through it all if we let Him, the key here being to "let" Him.
I found this photo which said it showed one way to save on gas, but this person must never have had to pay towing charges! A better way would be to do multiple errands in one day and plan your route to save time and gas...so simple, but it works. So does waiting to get something even if you'd like it right now!










Here's a nice rustic sign that speaks for itself...it saved money by being recycled!

There's a little problem with grammar here, but if the bags are free, there's truth in it! The best way to go is to buy and use your own...hmmm, right now I have about five or six in my van, but I can't ever remember to bring them into the store...maybe if I looped one over an ear???













This photo said that you could save money and do your own haircuts, but it failed to say that you could also make people laugh hysterically.

Guess who was the barber and hair stylist for her whole family? My mom was (among many careers) once a licensed beautician and I say that the talent for that was inherited. My son loved to change his hair style in high school and would give me many challenges and his hair turned out really good (God's blessing on me). But this one time he wanted to have his hair short around the bottom and longer on top (it was getting warm out). Unfortunately I didn't check the position of the electric hair cutter as I was so intent in asking him if he was SURE he wanted to do this and buzz went the clippers and bald went my son!! After the first strip of bald occurred, I asked him if he wanted me to stop (he hasn't too pleased about now), as I told him he could always lean to the left and pretend it wasn't there. another blessing is his great sense of humor which took over and we just finished it with a half bald look!


Another good way to save energy and money is to invest in the curly light bulb (a beautician must have designed this) and we now have them in almost every fixture in our home.








Also, saving up nickels, dimes, quarters and pennies really can count up. The other day we counted Kelly's stash and she had over twenty dollars which even surprised her! So she is adding to her car emergency fund and emergency wallet fund, both hidden inside those items for an emergency situation, something I have advised all my loved ones to do.

This worked out really well for my late hubby, Mario. He had to get his car inspected in Arizona and that involves getting in a long line of cars (basically you are trapped) to get to the emissions check point. Once they test your car and it passes, you pay and get your inspection slip. Mario had started listening to me about keeping some money in the car, but not "totally", for it was only loose change. He did have credit and debit cards as well as a check...NONE of which they took!! It was cash only!! He semi panicked after being in that long line and then having the car checked out, when he remembered that he had all that change, so he started counting as they were finishing the check up. It cost $20.00 and he manged to come up with $20.03, after emptying out his pockets as well! After that, he carried "emergency" money in his wallet and car.

Now here is a good way to save money on renting horses for a parade and it makes them look so dashing, doesn't it?












Ahhh...one of my favorite ways of saving money and natural resources is water. No leak is safe from me finding a way to stop it...I even learned how to fix a leaky toilet on my own, years ago (Mario, being in the Army, would be gone for long stretches of time). I make sure I do full loads of wash and boy can I pack that dishwasher creatively. We even have a water barrel now, but that's another story as it only holds water and refuses to give water.



Here's another way to save on multiple pet beds, but this might take a bit of coaching and some work!








And here some pointers I snagged from the Internet:


"1
Cut down on coffee drinks. If you put into savings $4/day you would have spent on a latte at Starbucks, the money would grow in 30 years at 5% interest to $100,000.If you do want something to drink, buy a bottle of juice: It's better for you and cheaper.
Step 2
Pack lunch. Spending $5~$10/day going out to lunch will quickly add up.
Step 3
Whenever you buy anything ask yourself 3 times "do I really need this?" Chances are your quality of life would be better without it.
Step 4
Power of compounding interest. Basically, saving when you are young will put time on your side. When you are ready to retire in 20~30 years, your money will be earning serious interest.
Step 5
Spend money on people, not things.
Step 6
Live just beneath your means. You don't have to be live like a pauper to save money, just go one step below what you could get. Instead of a BMW, buy a Acura. Instead of a two week vacation, go for 10 day vacation. Save the rest!"


Also found this neat site that is from Great Britain:


Now for a little humor on it all:


These are some of Jay Leno's thoughts on the economy:


The rest of the country might not know this: Today is Furlough Friday here in California. Furlough Friday, where 200,000 -- the state is so broke, 200,000 workers are asked to stay home without pay as a cash-saving measure. This is what I love about California: They make it sound like it's fun. Oh, Furlough Friday.


What's the next big holiday, Selling-Your-Blood-For-Money Saturday?


It looks like more than 13,000 people were caught up in that Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme. You know what a Ponzi scheme is? That's where you throw good money after bad, or as the government calls it, a stimulus package. But very similar.


President Obama, getting very tough now, has imposed a $500,000 salary cap for executives getting federal bailout money. And, listen to this: Now on weekends, they can only play miniature golf. No more 18 holes.


See, the whole theory behind this salary cap is if you're not performing well, and you're taking taxpayer money, then that should be reflected in lower wages. Of course, under that criteria, everybody in Congress should get like, what, 2 bucks an hour?


Hey, listen to this -- according to 'The Wall Street Journal,' the city of Las Vegas wants to use $2 million worth of the economic stimulus package for neon signs. I just hope it doesn't make the city look tacky.


And today, President Obama announced a salary cap of $500,000 for executives at banks and companies that have received taxpayer bailout money. And you know — it is good. But I'll tell you something, you can tell a lot of these CEOs don't get it. They said, 'Well, that's $500,000 a month, right?'


This information came over the internet some years ago.

It purports to be the answers given by students in science exams around the world. It came with the comment that “it is truly astonishing what weird science our young scholars can create under the pressure of time and grades?.” I was unable to trace the author, but as the work deserves wider dissemination, I present here the answers of most interest to a medical audience.

Couldn't resist my own commentary on this in green!!

General:
“The body consists of three parts - the brainium, the borax, and the abominable cavity. The brainium contains the brain; the borax, the heart and lungs; and the abominable cavity, the bowls, of which there are five - a, e, i, o, and u.”
This person obviously had no "brainium"!!

Respiration:
“When you breathe, you inspire. When you do not breathe, you expire”
This depends on your breath mints.
“Respiration consists of two acts: first inspiration, then expectoration.”
This one did a little copying from the one above.

Cardiovascular:“The three kinds of blood vessels are arteries, veins, and caterpillars.”
If they ever turn into butterflies, we're all in trouble!

Gastrointestinal:“The alimentary canal is located in the northern part of Alabama.”
No wonder we get so hungry.

Dentistry:“A permanent set of teeth consists of eight canines, eight cuspids, two molars, and eight cuspidors.”
And one strange looking mouth.


Orthopaedics:“The skeleton is what is left after the insides have been taken out and the outsides have been taken off. The purpose of the skeleton is something to hitch meat on.”
This statement is what is left after only the brain has been removed.

Reproductive medicine:“Artificial insemination is when the farmer does it to the cow instead of the bull.”
This one is just plain scary.

“To prevent contraception, wear a condominium.”
One of the best, workable solutions I have ever heard!


“Many women believe that an alcoholic binge will have no effects on the unborn fetus, but that is a large misconception.”
Lots of meaning here.



Haematology:“Before giving a blood transfusion, find out if the blood is affirmative or negative.”
Even the blood has to sign on the dotted line.



Eyes and nose:“To remove dust from the eye: pull the eye down over the nose.”“
At this point, the dust will stop bothering you altogether as the pain will take over.

For nosebleeds, put the nose lower than the body until the heart stops.”
Definitely takes care of the nosebleed, but doesn't do much for overall health.

“For a cold: use an agoniser to spray the nose until it drops in your throat.”
You've heard of a 'frog in your throat', now your nose can join it.

First aid:“For fainting: rub the person’s chest or, if a lady, rub her arm above the head instead.
And ask your pretend friend to help.


Or put the head between the knees of the nearest doctor.”
And watch doctor pass out.

“For asphyxiation: apply artificial respiration until the patient is dead.”
This is definitely still illegal.

“For drowning: climb on top of the person and move up and down to make artificial perspiration.”
This will distract the person so much that they will regain some state of consciousness, but be very unhappy about it.

“For dog bite: put the dog away for several days. If he has not recovered, then kill it.”
This person may need to be put away for more than several days.


~~~Thank you, Lord, for the blessing of using our creativity to save our precious resources as well as to help others.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of the helpful tips Marcy! I am currently saving for a new laptop as Katie got this ine for christmas from her brother. I would l love not to have to share so I could use it whenever I want! I will be posting again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some really good information! And as always you leave me laughing! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I'm working on a post now about how I am so lame economically and so wasteful environmentally (is that a word?), and I get lots of flack for it! So maybe your tips will help me.
    And I'm the same with you about the shopping bags! We have SO MANY because we keep forgetting them at home when we go shopping so we buy even MORE (talk about being economically wasteful!), we either forget to bring them with us, or if they are in the car we forget to bring them into the stores with us!

    I loved all the jokes! The one about the condominium reminded me of when my nephew was little and asked his mother what a condom was, she was uncomfortable but she explained it to him, and he looked at her as if she was crazy and said, "Oh, I just thought it was a place to live in."

    Thanks for another great post, Marcy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcy, what a wonderful and informative post. I love your suggestions and though I already do some of them I realize there is so much more I can do. Take care my friend....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Thanks for the laughs. it's good that we can still have a sense of humor even through the tough economy times. Thanks for sharing a post filled with wonderful tips to follow. I also wanted to tell you your comment on my giveaway post touched my heart, I truly appreciate your friendship and sisterness and words of encouragement when you come to visit.
    Hugz Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcy...That's information all of us can use in some way...it's good to recycle, reuse, and rethink how we do things.

    I always leave here with a smile...or even laughter sometimes...and I really appreciate your generosity in your comments on my blog...you give something of value here and you leave something of value there for me and I'm know you do it for others as well...Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post and you put a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this resourceful post, and share your heart for being frugal and careful with what we have ~ good on you!
    Hey, I can comment on your blog from work, but not from home, no idea why that is! :¬0
    Glad to be able to leave one after your lovely comments on mine...God bless you today! :¬)
    Mrs.P xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still giggling, Marcy... You're comments were priceless. &:o)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are blessings too...