Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Food and Food for Thought

It's time for another recipe, so this blog site can hopefully feed both body and soul. Now the above picture is snagged from the Internet and the closest I could find to my own blueberry crumb cake, just imagine it with more crumb topping and a little taller. I will try to remember to take a picture of it before it's all gone and I made it late last night!

Healthy Blueberry Crumb Cake
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup oatmeal, ground
2-3 Tbsp milled flax
2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
Put above ingredients in a bowl and just mix together with a fork and make a well in the middle.
1 lg egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening (I use healthy sunflower oil)
1 cup blueberries (stir in LAST)
Mix the above ingredients together and pour into the well of dry ingredients and stir just till moistened (for some reason, this is one time lumps are a good thing).
Yummy topping (you could skip this, but it's sooooooo good):
1/2 cup (stick) real butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
2 Tbsp milled flax (remember this should be easy to find in your regular grocery store)
1/2 cup oatmeal, ground up in a blender
Mix this together and it should look kind of crumby/ lumpy.
Pour your batter into a greased (I use the wrapper from the stick of butter) loaf pan, then sprinkle topping evenly (should be lots if you don't eat any of it...hmmm, wonder what made me say that?) Last, but not least, say a little prayer of love into the mix.
Cook at 375 (convection oven)-400 for 30-35 minutes (topping should be lightly browned).
Found the picture below on the Internet and my answer would be: Guess it's time to stop using THESE recipes.
Being a lover of puzzles, crosswords and mysteries, I do realize this means to break and separate the three eggs into two bowls but this seems like a case of somebody with too much time on their hands and I prefer not to have to spend extra time trying to "crack the code" when I'm baking. Life has enough challenges.



Speaking of challenges, here below are some difficult to answer questions:




Why is it called a "building" when it is already built?


Why do they call them "apartments" when they are all stuck together?


Why is there an expiration date on SOUR cream?


If you keep trying to prove Murphy's Law, will something keep going wrong?


Why does flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?


How can someone "draw a blank"?


Shouldn't there be a shorter word for "monosyllabic"?


Why is the word "abbreviate" so long?


Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?


What is another word for "thesaurus"?

These questions make me realize that we should probably award some sort of medal to anyone who has to learn English!

Had to do two jokes today, simply because I love the last one and can so easily imagine the little old lady and her astonishment!

Bats in your Belfry


Three Pastors in the south were having lunch in a diner. One of them said, "You know, since summer started I've been having trouble with them flying bats in my loft and attic at church. I've tried everything, but nothing seems to scare them off.
Another pastor said "Yes, me too. I've got hundreds living in my belfry and in the narthex attic. I've even had the place fumigated, and they won't go away!"
The third pastor said you just have to use the right approach to the problem, "I baptized all mine, made them members of the church, gave them offertory envelopes and we haven't seen one back since!"





An airline pilot wrote that on this particular flight he had hammered his ship into the runway really hard. The airline had a policy which required the first officer to stand at the door while the passengers exited, give a smile, and a "Thanks for flying XYZ airline." He said that in light of his bad landing, he had a hard time looking the passengers in the eye, thinking that someone would have a smart comment. Finally everyone had gotten off except for this little old lady walking with a cane.


She said, "Sonny, mind if I ask you a question?" "Why no Ma'am," said the pilot, "What is it?" The little old lady said, "Did we land or were we shot down?"
~~~Thank you dear God for the blessings You give us for our bodies and souls.

4 comments:

  1. Marcy, I have another one - why do 'ravel' and 'unravel' mean the same thing?!
    I loved this post! The jokes were great! And I'm copying the recipe now. Ray loves blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too agree that anyone who can learn to speak English deserves a medal...It is no treat and I was born with it as my FIRST language. But then I admire anyone who can learn and speak more that one language and be "understood." Truly gifts of the Spirit. I'm still at the Tower of Babel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcy, Katie love's any baked goods w/blueberries so I will try the cake, By the way she's much better today. The Bats in the Belfry joke I had heard before, our pastor liked that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot imagine a night without reading your blog Marcy, I am addicted. I loved the airplane joke, too funny, and I too am going to try your blueberry recipe as I am addicted to blueberries as well. Thank you Marcy, you always remind me that this world is a wonderful place with people like you in it.
    .....:-) Hugs Bernie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are blessings too...