Saturday, May 23, 2009

Up and running again





Well, yesterday had a few challenges. Michael already had a computer, as did I, when we got married. However, they, like us, are now hooked up together! His PC went down yesterday and the next day he took mine down with his (how's that for togetherness?) Anyway, he's up and going and now I am too, as you may have guessed already!!





While waiting for all this to return to normal, I went out and pulled more weeds and prayed. It was a really nice time to pray because as I was pulling weeds that were so close to the delicate green onions and carrots, the thought occurred to me that this is what patience is all about, a slow steady process or the onions and carrots will come up too. Isn't it great that God does wait for us and not just "pull us up" when we get a little "weedy" or closed in by other "weeds"??

These are actually my "Before" pictures...guess there needs to be some "After" ones too, as my fingers are truly sore (even though I had my trusty screwdriver with me) after all that weed pulling. There were so many weeds in that last picture that you can hardly see the lettuce or the leeks, and definitely not the teeny tiny green onions!!


Here are some wise gardening "tips" I found:


"The best way to garden is to put on a wide brimmed straw hat and some old clothes. And with a hoe in one hand and a cold drink in the other, tell somebody else where to dig.

Compost is best aged a little like a fine wine. I mean, would you prefer to drink a nice 97, or something that was made last Thursday.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.

Spring does not arrive until the ice is out of the compost heap.

Winter does not arrive until the ice is IN the compost. Until then, all bets are off.

Any self respecting rock will break at least one shovel before accepting its new home.

A good compost pile should get hot enough to poach an egg, but not so hot it would cook a lobster.

Gardening requires a lot of water most of it in the form of perspiration. "





EVER WONDER ...




"Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin?

Why women can't put on mascara or feed a baby with their mouth closed?

Why don't you ever see the headline 'Psychic Wins Lottery'?
Why 'abbreviated' is such a long word?
Why is it that doctors call what they do 'practice'?
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?
Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?
Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?
Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections?
You know that indestructible blackbox that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?!

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
If flying is so safe, why do they call it the terminal?"
~~~Thank you, Lord, for the blessing of being able to watch things grow and work in Your good earth.

8 comments:

  1. Good morning Marcy, I enjoyed all of the WHY'S, very interesting! And thought provoking too. I'm glad you got to do some work and praying in your yard. I was finally able to get some things done in my yard yesterday after taking the week off from being sick. Still have lots more to do before next weekend! Gotta love those weeds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post this Sunday morning. Your garden is looking good and I know all about sore weeding hands!!!
    These are some cute things at the end of the post. I love the "mouth open" when putting on mascara - it's so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly enjoy the entire post, but especially the WHY portion! WHY indeed! Have a grand day and I understand what it is like to be "down." It was agonizing. Who'd have thought a computer could be such an integral part of my life! Have a GRAND Day!!! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post! I'm glad your computer is back up! I've seen those compost bins...We don't do a lot of vegetable gardening so don't have a formal or serious composting plan. We DO put mulched leaves over beds each autumn and turn them over & rake 'em up in the spring. It has really resulted in some great soil for our perennials & plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was so cute! I love your garden, it's so pretty, I love 'new beginnings'!

    And the jokes were hysterical, and the first one is my idea of gardening!
    It's like everything else (cleaning projects, exercising, having a party, etc.)once I get started I actually enjoy it all, it's just the 'getting started' I always have a hard time with!
    And I know all about the plants coming out easy and the weeds hanging in there! I'm always taking out the good and leaving behind the weed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A local breeder had a too-high pile of manure from cleaning his stables so keith went and fetched some last week for the garden. He swears it's so hot it'll spontaneously combust.

    JOKE: How do you keep flies out of the kitchen?
    Put a shovel of manure in the living room!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved seeing your garden ~ Great job on the weeding. &:o) Hate doing it, love the results. Love the quotes, too ~ and those "Why" questions! This is the funnest house on the block you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marcy, so loved the "Whys" and as always enjoyed your post. So happy your computers are working, I missed your post when you were at your daughter's I can't imagine what I would do if you didn't have a working computer. Take care my friend...:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Comments are blessings too...