Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Story of Mr. "Sunshine"

Before I start the story of Mr. Sunshine, let me say that I am so glad that I did some Blog visiting before my post for today because I discovered that someone who is a true born Mrs. Sunshine is having a birthday today, a very kind, loving blogger at On My Own and her name is Bernie, short for the beautiful name of Bernadette...so...



H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y, SWEET BERNIE!!!


MAY YOU BE BLESSED WITH MANY MORE


ALL MORE JOYFUL THAN THE ONE BEFORE!




The True Tale of Mr. Sunshine


Once upon a time when I worked in a wonderful bank that cared about both its employees and customers, there came to us a very, very grouchy, unhappy and snappy (boy am I waxing poetic today) customer.



In those early days I was working in the drive-in part of our bank and there were three of us, with each one taking a turn for a week at handling the first window which was the business and busiest window.



His normal daily routine would be to throw his bank bag into the sliding drawer with a scowl on his face and then turn away somewhat disgustedly while we did the deposit. Each one of us would always say thank you and have a nice day, to which he would reply..."scowl, grump, scowl" and take off hurriedly like we had just wasted his time. It got to the point where my two fellow companions dreaded his arrival.



Well, God had His Hand in this and inspired me to do something outrageous. Although I sorely wanted to change this man's ways, I know this was another God moment because it surprised me too. The next time he came by, with the same attitude and grumpiness, never replying to anyone, instead of just saying thank you, I said (in a VERY nice, sweet and meaningful tone) thank you, Sunshine. He looked up at me like I had used a cattle prod on him, then left out as usual. Each day I continued to use the same term, even saying "Good morning, Sunshine" when he arrived. When the initial shock subsided, he slowly started smiling...the other two ladies were speechless. Even when I wasn't taking my turn at that window, I would make a special effort to go over to it just to give him his greeting and THEN, he actually started saying thank you along with smiling!!!



Finally, he, who could barely stand to come to the bank before, started talking to each of us when he came and sharing a little of his day. The very best day came when, about a month or so later, he told us "You know, my favorite part of the day is coming to this bank." It was no longer just a title, he had truly become Mr. Sunshine!! God can work wonders when we let Him use us!














This would have been Mr. Sunshine in the early days:


Two friends met in the street. One looked sad and almost on the verge of tears. The other man said, "Hey my friend, how come you look like the whole world has caved in?" The sad fellow said, "Let me tell you. Three weeks ago, an uncle died and left me 50-thousand dollars." "That's not bad at all...!"

"Hold on, I'm just getting started. Two weeks ago, a cousin I never knew kicked-the-bucket and left me 95-thousand, tax-free to boot."

"Well, that's great! I'd like that."

"Last week, my grandfather passed away. I inherited almost a million." "So why are so glum?" "This week - nothing!"

******


Q: What do you call a grumpy cow?



A: Moo-dy

*****

Two kids went into their parents bathroom and noticed the weigh scale in the corner. "Whatever you do," cautioned one youngster to the other, "Don't step on it!" "


Why not?" asked the sibling.


"Because every time mommy does, she lets out an awful scream!"

******

~~~Thank you Lord for the blessings You give us when we say yes to things that seem so impossible to change.

9 comments:

  1. Your story is a perfect example of Proverbs 15:1

    "A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger."

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcy, THIS is my favorite place to come, you know. It's full of sunshine here. Gotta wear shades! &8o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thank YOU, Sunshine! Thank you for another sunny post!
    I LOVE this story! You are too cute, Marcy, and very brave, I don't think I would have had the nerve to call Mr. Grumpy 'Sunshine'! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. re. your note about Sauder furniture....The founder DEFINITELY marked the community and world with his generosity. One of the companies manufactures church furniture. I worked there for a couple of years when I lived in Archbold. The company has grown and is now managed by grandsons, etc. So of course there have been changes. But the heritage remains a godly one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcy, your story reminded me of a similar one that happened to me when I was a young girl. This one store clerk that I had to deal with was so grumpy that I started to dread going there.When my mother told me "Remember you can attract more flies with honey than vinegar"or something to that effect. After that I started to be even nicer than I already was and he couldn't help but to start smiling at me from time to time. It does work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marcy, Yes I saw your comment on my blog and I appreciate each and every visit so much. I hope to be back to blogging soon.
    This was such an uplifting post today. Thank you for sharing Mr. Sunshine's story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY FRIEND! THAT WAS THE BEST story in the whole world! I love it! How many times do we actually interact with someone on a daily basis and just change their world! You probably made such a difference in this mans life and he will remember you ALWAYS! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story Marcy! It just proves it's hard to be horrible to someone who always smiles at you.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Marcy you have such a beautiful spirt and I count you as one of my many blessings. Thank you for your kind words my friend, and it was people like you that made my day so special.
    Loved your story and you know I can just see you doing this too, you brought happiness to a man who probably hadn't known very much kindness in his life...Take Care.....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Comments are blessings too...