Thursday, May 7, 2009

Take Time on Thursday to Turn to the Lord

It's National Prayer Day and I found some really neat pictures for it. This one below is of a church where flags from many countries are being shown and all these people prayed together!! Here is a reminder of the potency of your prayers and mine...remember God and you/me make a majority!


How's this for a sweet picture of women taking time to meet and pray before going to work/shopping etc.?


Here we have a prayer group in a yoga class.



I just love to see a game preceded by prayer, so "Facing The Giants" is a great film to watch.



I don't know where this is located, but wouldn't it be nice to see these everywhere, like even all over the earth?? Guess we have to just keep this sign in our hearts:




How beautiful to see the words "vigilance of prayer" for we need to be careful and watchful and constant in little prayers and big prayers. Let's challenge ourselves to not only pray today, but pray more every day. One way that I have started long ago to pray more is whenever I hurt myself (don't ask...even today I stubbed the living daylights out of my small toe on an immovable object) I say "Santa Maria" with a bit of pain in my voice (this used to tickle the stew out of my son) and then I finish it off by saying "madre de
Dios, ruega por nosotros pecadores ahora y en la hora de nuestra muerte. Amen" which translates, from Spanish, into "Holy Mary, mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen". Guess I should let you know that my late hubby and I used to speak Spanish (and would even pray together at night in Spanish) to each other (he was raised in Venezuela). Isn't that so much better than my old 'leftover', "puke"???


Because this is such a special day, I am taking the liberty of adding comments at the end of these prayer jokes:


Give Thanks

A 4-year-old boy was asked to say grace before Christmas dinner. The family bowed their heads in expectation. He began his prayer, thanking God for all his friends, carefully naming them one by one. Then he thanked God for Mommy, Daddy, brother, sister, Grandma, Grandpa, and all his aunts and uncles. Then he began to thank God for the food. He gave thanks for the turkey, the dressing, the fruit salad, the cranberry sauce, the pies, the cakes, even the whipped cream.
Then he paused, and everyone waited--and waited. After a long silence, the young fellow looked up at his mother and asked, "If I thank God for the asparagus, won't he know that I'm lying?"

Even when we may not be too crazy about something, it can still be a blessing, so thank God anyway...that goes for you too, Michael, you asparagus hater!



True Commitment


A journalist was assigned to the Jerusalem bureau of his newspaper. He gets an apartment overlooking the Wailing Wall. After several weeks he realizes that whenever he looks at the wall he sees an old Jewish man praying vigorously.
The journalist wondered whether there was a publishable story here. He goes down to the wall, introduces himself and says: "You come every day to the wall. What are you praying for?"
The old man replies: "What am I praying for? In the morning I pray for world peace, then I pray for the brotherhood of man. I go home, have a glass of tea, and I come back to the wall to pray for the eradication of illness and disease from the earth."
The journalist is taken by the old man's sincerity and persistence. "You mean you have been coming to the wall to pray every day for these things?"
The old man nods.
"How long have you been coming to the wall to pray for these things?"
The old man becomes reflective and then replies: "How long? Maybe twenty, twenty-five years."
The amazed journalist finally asks: "How does it feel to come and pray every day for over 20 years for these things?"
"How does it feel?" the old man replies. "It feels like I'm talking to a wall."



In so many ways this is sweet and cute...we can feel, at times, like we are talking to a wall, but God is always there and we need to be still and let Him work in us and through us...the Old Testament speaks of the prophet looking for God in the thunder and the fire and all majestic things and he fails to find Him, then the prophet is silent and hears God in the whisper of the wind!




~~~~Thank you Heavenly Father for the blessing of being able to talk to You and thank You and praise You and ask for Your help.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice post! Very nice pictures!
    And as always, I loved the jokes!
    And I love National Prayer Day! Isn't that wonderful?!
    Have a great day, Marcy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read your blog. I feel very comfortable and invited here. Does that make sense to anyone? Happy Prayer Day Kae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I am going to go in my yard and plant canna bulbs where I will feel close to God. I will be one more person praying on our National Day Of Prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts are always so inspiring. I cannot go to sleep at night until I say my prayers. Now that I'm older I find myself saying them periodically throughout the day because I don't want to forget something at night LOL I loved that you and your husband prayed together. That is so touching. Your jokes are always cute. I especially loved 'True Commitment.' I hope you are having a peaceful and blessed evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marcy, I remembered you in my prayers today, for your kindness and caring of others and for encouraging everyone who visits your blog. I am blessed to have met you....Have a wonderful day my friend.....-)Bernie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are blessings too...