Friday, May 22, 2009

Explaining her name

















There's something I need to clear up from when I posted Ria's birthday. I can understand why it happened, but when I wrote her name is AnaMaria and put it all together like that, it REALLY is that way, even on her birth certificate. Mario and I both loved this name, but we didn't want her to be called just Ana and yet we also wanted the Maria to be distinct, so we chose to do it this way...maybe it IS best that she gave herself her new name...no more confusion!


Hmmm, that reminds me of a funny little story Ria told me, but it needs a preface in order to appreciate it. In Spanish, there are lots of ways of making a name more loving (guess we kind of do it with nicknames in English), but someone who has Ana in front of their name would be called Anita, so from time to time I would call Ria by Anita, or even AnitaMaria. When she got married, I found a beautiful card and wrote "To my sweet Anita" on the inside.




Ria decided to put all of her wedding cards in a scrapbook. A few years later, her sister-in-law picked up her scrapbook and started looking through it. The card from her father and me was right in the front...Bridget read the "To..." and said, very seriously..."Boy, these people don't know you very well, do they?" Naturally, Ria cracked up laughing and said "Nope, they're just my parents!"



On Fridays, I guess I will start doing what Eileen has suggested, naming or showing some favorite things, as well as being "Friendly."
Down below you will see two photos (which I had to take multiple times because of the glare and bluriness...surprise...you probably thought that these WERE the 'glarey', blurry ones!) of paperweights. These are favorites for many reasons:
1. They remind me of, and take me back, to when we were blessed to visit Ireland.
2. They are actually from Ireland (ordered in an Irish catalogue).
3. I read an Irish novel that involved and explained the incredible process of glass blowing and designing.
4. These colors are supposed to have captured the blues and greens of Ireland.
5. They were also ON SALE if you bought both of them.

















Here are some really sweet jokes:


A little boy was in a relative's wedding. As he was coming down the aisle, he would take two steps, stop, and turn to the crowd. While facing the crowd, he would put his hands up like claws and roar. So it went, step, step, ROAR, step, step, ROAR, all the way down the aisle. As you can imagine the crowd was near tears by the time he reached the pulpit.
The little boy, however, was getting more and more distressed from all the laughing, and was also near tears by the time he reached the pulpit.
When asked what he was doing, the child sniffed and said, "I was being the Ring Bear."




Six-year old Angie and her four-year old brother Joel were sitting together in church. Joel giggled, sang and talked out loud.
Finally, his big sister had had enough. "You're not supposed to talk out loud in church."
"Why? Who's going to stop me?" Joel asked.
Angie pointed to the back of the church and said, "See those two men standing by the door? They're hushers."
~~~Thank you, dear God, for the blessings of weddings and memories to warm our hearts.

9 comments:

  1. Love your jokes, and story and so love the name AnaMaria. She is so blessed to have you as a mom, Marcy you are such a lovely person. May you have a wonderful and blessed day:) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got one for you Marcy, my great-grandmothers name was EarlieMay. No joke, she was born in early May! Everyone just called her Earlie. I loved your favorites,pretty colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, the HUSHERS in the church is the classic. I am going to use that on my grandchildren and also some rude adults next time I am in church! Unfortunately there are more adults that seems to think that before a church service it is the best time to chit-chat and whisper LOUDLY! I get so distracted at these adults, when all I want to do is sit down and feel of the spirit! enough said...HUSHERS is going to come in REAL HANDY! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love that name, "AnaMaria". How beautiful!

    Thanks for the Friday smiles (even though I read them on Saturday!). :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for leaving me a comment so I could find your lovely blog. Your Irish paper weights are beautiful. I love the story of your daughter's name also. Hope you and your family have a nice, safe weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love your paper weights. Are they Waterford Crystal? I have a beatiful cranberry coloured one that was Keith's mum's and it is Caithness Glass (from Scotland).

    Some people don't like it if you shorten their kids' names but it almost always happens anyway. My brother thought he was being clever naming his daughter Jenny so no-one could shorten Jennifer - now shes mostly called Jen!

    Great posting, as usual.
    Love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your beautiful paper weights! And I love your daughter's beautiful name! I also love her 'Ria' that she gave to herself.

    And thank you for all your kind words to me on my blog! And thank you for the 'extra' visit!
    Ray was very sweet and took along his laptop, so I'm stealing an hour away from our weekend to 'visit' my friends and quick read the posts I've missed!
    Thank you for posting a Friday Favorite! That was so sweet!
    We'll be starting home tomorrow, it's been a wonderful few days! I'll talk to you soon again, Friend!
    Love and Prayers, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marcy,
    I know what you mean about names. My daughter's name is Mariah and we caller Riah at times. Than her Hawaiian name is Kialani, pronounced Key-ah-la-nee.. and at times we call her Kia..poor kid was getting confused so we stuck a nickname her ilder sister gave her for Mariah and that is Rye-Rye.. lol.
    I read more of more posts and I just had the giggles lol. Thanks for the laughs.

    Hugz Lorie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are blessings too...