Thursday, April 23, 2009

Off to Pray

Thought it might be a good idea to give you some information on flax seed. Here is a picture of light flax seed (there are also dark ones) and cookies with them in it. Remember, you can always alter a recipe to fit your likes, although I do recommend trying it as is the first time.



Now a word or two of caution on the altering part: I have a wonderful recipe for home-made brownies and a friend of mine just loved the brownies and asked for my recipe (ALL recipes should be shared as far as I am concerned). Patti proceeded to substitute the sugar for a licorice based sugar product (doesn't that sound yummy...licorice and chocolate?), the eggs for egg substitute, the butter for a low fat margarine etc. etc. After all this, she said she couldn't understand WHY they didn't turn out right for her!! : -))




The Health Benefits of Flaxseed
by Dr. Tina Marcantel

Flaxseed provides numerous health benefits when it is a regular part of a person's diet. Dr. Tina Marcantel is a naturopathic doctor in Gilbert, Arizona, who also serves the East Valley cities of Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, Scottsdale, Queen Creek, and Apache Junction, as well as the greater Phoenix area.

One food that I highly recommend to all my patients is flaxseed. The health benefits of this little seed make it sound like nature’s wonder drug: it can help protect against heart disease, cancer, and diabetes; it can reduce cholesterol and has anti-inflammatory benefits; it’s even been shown to reduce hot flashes in postmenopausal women!
Flaxseed is helpful in managing women’s health issues because it contains high levels of lignans, which are phytochemicals that are converted in the body into hormone-like agents that block the estrogen pathways and limit estrogen in fat cells.
Limiting estrogen is important because it can help prevent estrogen dominance, a condition that can lead to numerous health problems including premenstrual syndrome (PMS), insomnia, irregular bleeding, uterine fibroids, fibrocystic breast disease, and breast cancer. In fact, many physicians treat women with breast cancer by adding flaxseed to their diets. It should be noted that only the seeds (not just the oil) provide the proper estrogen-blocking effect.
Flax is a mega-source for an omega-3 called alpha-linolenic acid. Omega-3 is a great support for cardiovascular function, skin health, and joint health. It's also an excellent source of fiber (1 tablespoon ground = 2 grams of fiber), which can improve regularity and help prevent colon cancer, as well as helping to lower LDL cholesterol levels.
You can put flaxseed in muffins, breads, cookies, cereals, cottage cheese, sprinkle it on salads, and add it to soups. Make sure the seeds are ground and kept in a closed container in the refrigerator. An amount of approximately 25 grams per day of ground flax will provide a medicinal effect. This equals 4 tablespoons per day.
You can find flaxseed in both the ground (milled) form and in whole seed form in almost any grocery store, usually in the health food section. I like to buy it in whole seed form and grind it myself in a small coffee grinder; it tastes better when it is fresh-ground and you'll retain more of the nutritional value. However, the milled form may be more convenient for you. Either way, it's important to understand that you should use the ground form because it is a soluble form of fiber that is much more effective in reducing cholesterol and triglycerides and excess estrogen. The seed form can also be irritating to those with bowel problems.
AN IMPORTANT NOTE: Flax should not be eaten within one hour of taking medicines or vitamins because of its absorbing properties. It can actually absorb and eliminate the medicines from your body, making them ineffective.
For much more information on the health benefits of this food for both women and men, I suggest reading the comprehensive article on The World’s Healthiest Foods website.


Last night I had to make deviled (well I put some "angel powder" on them for good measure!!) eggs and blueberry crumb cake for a farewell lunch for one of the members of my Thursday prayer group and it occurred to me that it's more home-made recipes after posting yesterday's! Added flax seed to the cake...I always try to sneak in good things in my deserts.


~~~Thank you Lord for plentiful information on the good things in your earth.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I might try flax seed just for the benefit of getting rid of the hot flashes alone!
    The blueberry crumb cake sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just keep on cookin' Marcy. I am now consciously practicing not cooking! I'm thinkin', the more you cook the less I cook? It's worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my blog, have enjoyed getting a peek at yours...posting that very fattening recipe on my blog is abnormal for me...but it was just soooo good. I'm usually into healthier stuff! Every once in awhile........... ha. Yes, I know the benefits of flax........and went through menopause 10 years ago, medication-free, sweat-free, hot-flash-free....it was a breeze...thankfully........life is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcy I was told about Flax seed at the Cancer Clinic several years ago and ever since I sprinkle it on my cereal every morning. I have never thought to put it in a receipe so thanks for the tip. I don't even notice it on my cereal as to me it has no taste but lots of benefits. Have a great day my friend....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Comments are blessings too...