Thursday, October 15, 2009

Let's hear it for the Teeth

Cathy @ A Bit of The Blarney is having a bit of a tooth problem and will be having a root canal, so let's all root (get it?...root canal and root for her...hee, hee) for her and cheer her up too with some toothy subjects!

Time to think about teeth even if you only have a few like this cute little guy...
Every kid's dream and every (good) dentist's nightmare...


For those who would like to have their teeth everywhere, these are Christmas ornaments....


So...you think you've had a few toothaches or troubles....would not want to have to deal with this load of teeth my whole life....


This was called "Ma, look, my first tooth" but I can't even see it and who cares when they are this cute?....





For happy teeth, it looks like you need a lot of brushing and toothpaste...



Do you suppose Cathy would feel better if the tooth fairy would pay her a visit just for being such a good girl?....



Some happy (I pray that everyone reading this only has happy ones)and sad teeth.....

I remember my late beloved hubby Mario telling me that when he was in Viet Nam he noticed that so many women had black teeth, so he asked about it and it turns out that they use a nut and its' leaves called betel to PURPOSELY blacken their teeth for beautification! So, if your teeth look like this, you may want to consider a move to Viet Nam where you can be really appreciated...




Here's some great info from the Internet.....


"Tooth care

It's important to care for your teeth and gums properly so as to avoid cavities, gingivitis, and other ailments. Proper care will also prevent pain and improve their appearance as well.

This article will provide you with some useful tips on how to care for teeth effectively, so keep reading!

Brushing
Brushing teeth and gums thoroughly is essential, but it is important not to push the brush against them too hard. This can cause gums to recede and expose more of each tooth. Dentists generally recommend brushing for about two minutes, at least twice per day.

Always be sure to brush after meals or snacks, esp. if you consume a beverage or dessert containing sugar. When this isn't possible, at least rinse your mouth with water or chew on a stick of sugar-free gum.

Eating
Making a few adjustments to how you eat and drink also helps care for teeth. Drinking soda or sugary juices over a short period of time is less harmful than drinking them slowly. It is also helpful to eat meals which are large enough so that you don't have to consume snacks before the next meal. Salads can help clean them as well, especially if sugary types of dressing are not used.

Brushes
Each type of tooth brush available has some benefits and drawbacks. A traditional brush can usually be obtained for free from your dentist, or at minimal cost in a store, and doesn't consume batteries or electricity. Traditional brushes with improved handles, wider heads, or other enhancements are also available. Electric tooth brushes are more thorough and less likely to cause gum recession.

A local dental hygienist recommends electric brushes with round brush heads for more effective tooth and gum care, including the Braun Oral-B Vitality. This brush comes with its own charging unit and has a built-in timer that lets you know when it has been running for two minutes.

Remember to replace the brush or its brush head when the bristles become bent, or after it has been used for over one-hundred days. Keep it in a clean area and rinse it before use.

Yellowing
Among others, smoking cigarettes and drinking tea frequently are two activities which can promote tooth yellowing. Some brands offer "whitening" toothpaste which aims to reduce this effect. However, this type of toothpaste can cause discomfort if your teeth are sensitive; some brands sell more expensive sensitive whitening toothpaste, including Sensodyne, Rembrandt, and Colgate. Tooth whitening strips, such as Crest Whitestrips, offer a more costly alternative.

Flossing
It is best to floss once each day, as well as every time food becomes stuck between one tooth and another. Gums are more likely to bleed during flossing if they haven't been regularly flossed for the past couple weeks or longer. There is usually little difference in how much waxed or unwaxed floss costs. It is less likely to become stuck between teeth if it is waxed. However, very small pieces of the wax may come off it while flossing.

Some devices are available which can be used to supplement or replace flossing. Water jets (like the WaterPik) and oral irrigators work well, although they aren't quite as effective. They are also preferable for people with braces. Enhanced plastic toothpicks, such as BrushPicks, can be used both to dislodge food from between the teeth and to remove plaque. Mouthwash is useful for eliminating bacteria and plaque, but should not be used as a replacement for floss.

The dentist
If possible, visit a dentist at least yearly for a cleaning; this will also help identify any problems with your mouth, or adjustments you need to make in how you take care of it. Although health insurance is rather expensive, dental ins. is often fairly affordable. If lips are cracked or chapped, remember to use lip balm in the days prior to visiting the dentist, so that bleeding won't be caused by the dental instruments touching them ."

Let's crack up (not crack our teeth though) over some tooth/teeth jokes...


Why is a toothless dog like a tree? It has more bark than bite.

A Problem With Teeth

This minister just had all of his remaining teeth pulled and new dentures were being made. The first Sunday, he only preached 10 minutes. The second Sunday, he preached only 20 minutes. But, on the third Sunday, he preached 1 hour 25 minutes.

When asked about this by some of the congregation, he responded this way.

The first Sunday, my gums were so sore it hurt to talk.

The second Sunday, my dentures were hurting a lot.

The third Sunday, I accidentally grabbed my wife's dentures... and I couldn't stop talking!



***********
Why did the termite eat a sofa and two chairs? It had a suite tooth.
**********
Bad Tooth


A man and his wife entered the dentist's office.

"I want a tooth pulled, "the man said. "We are in a big hurry, so let us not fool around with gas or Novocain or any of that stuff."

"You are a very brave man," remarked the dentist. "Which tooth is it?"

"Show him your bad tooth, honey," said the man to his wife.

Big Cavity


I had to go to the dentist to-day.
He was a Scottish-Canadian dentist.

He looked in my mouth and said,
"You've got a verry big cavity there, a verry big cavity."

That gave me a bit of a start, so I said,
"Well, you didn't have to repeat it."

And he replied, "I didn't, that was an echo."

The Appointment

The dentist says to the patient, "Could you help me? Could you give out a few of your loudest, most painful screams?"

Patient: Why? Doc, it isn't all that bad this time.

Dentist: There are so many people in the waiting room right now and I don't want to miss the 7 o'clock tennis game.
~~~Thank You Heavenly Father for the blessings of teeth and may the only thing we ever bite into is food and not other people's feelings.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting about the nut and the betal leaves to turn the teeth black. Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. You found and shared some great information on teeth, Marcy...
    Jack's hygenist told him to always floss before brushing. I used to do the reverse...I would brush and then floss. I learn something new every day. Hugs and best wishes to Cathy as she undergoes her root canal.
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heartfelt thanks and BIG smiles!!! I especially like the joke about the "cavity." Have been accusd of having a BIG cavity as well!

    Again thanx, dear friend!!! :) Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pardon me for the prolonged absense.. How have you been Marcy? Hope things are better at your end now..

    That was some cool information! Black is beautiful? In case of teeth! WOW :) It was so heartbreaking to realize that the tooth fairy concept was a myth :(

    Hope your friend Cathy feels better after the root canal !Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good afternoon Marcy, I loved your post about the teeth. I don't know where you find all of the pictures and information that you use in your posts but I certainly appreciate and enjoy it. I very reluctantly drag myself to the dentist every six months where I shake in fear that something will be wrong and I will have to have it taken care of. I'm such a big chicken! I hope you are having a truly lovely day. "What's that Charli?" Charli wants to send you, your hubby, and Tinkerbell a hug :>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Marcy, I am sure Cahy loved this post and how thoughtful of you to do this for her...a toothache can be so painful and I just know you have brought many smiles to her face. I loved this post........Luv you .... :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marcy,

    sorry for my absence this week, and thank you so much for your comments!
    I was delighted to see you are painting! Keep us updated on that painting you're working on!
    Teeth... I should go to the dentist, but keep putting it off..
    Great pictures, as always.
    Hope Cathy is ok.
    Love to you,
    Marina xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know that the Appalachians have such horrible teeth problems because they get addicted to Mountain Dew? They start feeding to their babies in bottles.

    Smiles! Love Di

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I must admit this is definitely a new topic to read about in my blogland travels. And, I should have known it would come from you, the one I continue to learn so much from during my blog visits. I think one of the most interesting nuggets of tooth truth that I learned, is about the women who feed their babies, Mt. Dew and they all grow up with it. It backs my theory that too much soda can be harmful. I learned alot from this educational post. I am still wondering why the Vietnamese women wanted black teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Evening Marcy...
    You are like a walking encyclopedia...I just bought a new toothpaste last week...Crest Pro Health Enamel Shield...so far I like it...

    How are the art lessons coming along Marcy? BTW today while shopping I thought of you...I saw a pair of blue fuzzy sock booties just like the ones you knitted. It made me smile.

    Luv and Smiles,
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow - that black teeth thing, oh my goodness!! i had no idea it was a sign of beauty! i guess that and extra large ear plugs those young 'uns are wearing now.
    i am also reminded to get my kids a flossen'!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There IS a tooth fairy. There IS a Santa Claus. My dearly beloved thinks he's going to wake up rich every time he puts his dentures in to soak!

    I've been using a Braun electric toothbrush - the same one - for about 12 years (new brush heads of course). It's never even needed a new battery and only needs recharging once a week!

    Everything OK with you?

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Marcy!!! I LOVE this post!! You are so hilarious!!! What a wonderful sense of humor!!! And what fascinating facts about tooth care and other cultures!! Really amazing! Have a wonderful weekend, my new, dear friend!! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete

Comments are blessings too...