Thursday, October 8, 2009

Guess What I did Yesterday?

First, let me show you what I DID NOT do yesterday but it does show you some of Michael's awesome talents. He drew this free hand about two or three years ago, not even looking at any giraffes.....




The camera does not like anything with glass and I tried several angles too, but he drew me as the giraffe with the butterfly since I am so drawn to butterflies...




Now here is what I actually was working on in my new art class. I have always loved art but never pursued it so now I am pursuing. One day I would like to have Michael do likewise. It (like me) is still a work in progress, but hopefully it will be finished next week.....




The teacher gave me a white board to lay it on. The sketch was 'created' from a stylus being using on an outline of a magnolia blossom that has carbon underneath it as opposed to freehand...


Then I looked up and found some lovely art for Jerelene who loves cows...




Now this one works for Jerelene (@Jerelene's Journal), the cow lover, poor Diana (@Welcome to my World)who needs someone to feed her in her feeling bad time and Eileen (@Umma's World)who loves pink...


To keep our minds alert and learning new things, I found some info on a great artist....

"Leonardo da Vinci Fact No 1: Not a Prolific Painter

Leonardo left fewer than 30 paintings, and these aren’t even all finished. But before you think you can do the same and still go down in art history, remember he also left hundreds of drawings, sketches, and pages of notes. His reputation isn’t just based on his paintings.

Leonardo da Vinci Fact No 2: His Own Worst Enemy
Leonardo was both a perfectionist and a procrastinator. How’s that for a terrible combination of personality traits? It’s said to be one of the reasons why he left so few paintings.

Leonardo da Vinci Fact No 3: Where’s the Sculpture?
There are no pieces of sculpture that can definitely be attributed to Leonardo, even though art historians know he learned sculpture when an art apprentice in Verrocchio’s studio. (So remember to sign your work!)

Leonardo da Vinci Fact No 4: If He Hadn’t Been Illegitimate, He May Not Have Been an Artist
Leonardo was born out of wedlock on 15 April 1452. But if he hadn’t been, he might not have been apprenticed to the artist Andrea del Verrocchio, as he would have more occupations open to him. As it was, being illegitimate, his options were limited. The only thing known for sure about his mother is that her name was Caterina; art historians believe she probably worked in the household of Leonardo’s father, Ser Piero da Vinci.

Leonardo da Vinci Fact No 5: Expensive Paper Makes for Messy Notebooks
Paper was far more expensive and harder to get hold of in Leonardo’s day than it is today. Which is why he made more intensive use of it, “filling” most of every page.

Leonardo da Vinci Fact No 6: A Vegetarian
Unusually for the era in which he lived, Leonardo was a vegetarian, for humanitarian reasons. (Not that this stopped him from dissecting humans to study anatomy and to map out where the human soul was, nor from taking a job as a designer of military weapons at one stage.)

Leonardo da Vinci Fact No 7: One of the First Italians to Use Oil Paint
Leonardo was one of the first artists in Italy to use oil paints instead of egg tempera, enjoying the freedom it gave him to rework a painting. He even concocted his own recipe for oil paints.

Leonardo da Vinci Fact No 8: Lover of Experimenting
Leonardo’s great fresco, The Last Supper began to deteriorate almost immediately. This is because Leonardo didn’t follow traditional, tried-and-tested fresco techniques of water-based paints applied to wet plaster, but used oil-based paint on a surface that was a mixture of gesso, pitch, and mastic."


Now I need to find and buy some on sale art supplies....


Think it might be wise to study the subject a bit as well....



A neat little fact I found...
"Oldest oil paintings
by Jack Flash » 20 Feb 08, 11:55 am

The oldest known oil painting, dating from 650 A.D., has been found in caves in Afghanistan's Bamiyan Valley, according to a team of Japanese, European and U.S. scientists.

The discovery reverses a common perception that the oil painting, considered a typically Western art, originated in Europe, where the earliest examples date to the early 12th century A.D.



full story http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/02/1 ... nting.html "

Now, if only I was in Wanda's (@Moments of Mine)lovely story book land, there would be endless subjects to paint...


Some painting smiles...

The Painting


A woman decided to have her portrait painted. She told the artist, "Paint me with diamond rings, a diamond necklace, emerald bracelets, a ruby broach, and gold Rolex."

"But you are not wearing any of those things," he replied.

"I know," she said. "It's in case I should die before my husband. I'm sure he will remarry right away, and I want his new wife to go crazy looking for the jewellery."

************
Blonde Painting the House
This blonde decides one day that she is sick and tired of all
these blonde jokes and how all blondes are perceived as stupid,
so she decides to show her husband that blondes really are
smart. While her husband is off at work, she decides that she is
going to paint a couple of rooms in the house.

The next day, right after her husband leaves for work, she gets
down to the task at hand. Her husband arrives home at 5:30 and
smells the distinctive smell of paint. He walks into the living
room and finds his wife lying on the floor in a pool of sweat.
He notices that she is wearing a ski jacket and a fur coat at
the same time.

He goes over and asks her if she is OK. She replies yes. He asks
what she is doing. She replies that she wanted to prove to him
that not all blonde women are dumb and she wanted to do it by
painting the house. He then asks her why she has a ski jacket
over her fur coat. She replies that she was reading the
directions on the paint can and they said....
FOR BEST RESULTS, PUT ON TWO COATS
**************

There is a blonde that is trying to find a job and she went into a job

service and asked if she could get a job. They said that they had a

job opening for painting rural roads lines. The next day she got a

call and the guy asked if she could start the job today. She went to

work and when she got there the boss was telling her that you need

to paint at least 2 miles. So she went out and started painting lines

on the road.

When she finished for the day she went back to the guy to see how

well she done. The guy said good you painted 4 miles. The next

day she came to work and started painting and finished the day and

went to see how good she done. The guy said your ok but you only

painted 2 miles today do better tomorrow. The next day she came

to work and she finished the day and she went to talk to the guy

and he asked her why she only painted 1 mile today. She said

"Well everyday I keep getting farther and farther

away from the bucket."

**************
A Brit, a Frenchman and a Russian are viewing a painting of Adam and Eve frolicking in the Garden of Eden. "Look at their reserve, their calm," muses the Brit. "They must be British."

"Nonsense," the Frenchman disagrees. "They're naked, and so beautiful. Clearly, they are French."

"No clothes, no shelter," the Russian points out, "they have only an apple to eat, and they're being told this is paradise. They are Russian."
*****************

An odd miscellany of trivial facts; Or a trivial miscellany of odd facts
In Tokyo, a bicycle is faster than a car for most trips of less than 50 minutes.
It's illegal to drink beer out of a bucket while you're sitting on a curb in St. Louis.
A ' jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.
It's against the law to burp, or sneeze in a certain church in Omaha, Nebraska
Your body is creating and killing 15 million red blood cells per second.
Camels have three eyelids to protect themselves from blowing sand.
Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult.
The most popular first name in the world is Muhammad.
In Natoma, Kansas, it's illegal to throw knives at men wearing striped suits.
Nearly all lipstick contains fish scales.
Almost half the newspapers in the world are published in the United States and Canada.

~~~Dear Lord, thank You for the blessings of trying and appreciating new things in Your wonderful world.

12 comments:

  1. Michael's drawing of the gifaffe is great...I love the "love" of it...very sweet.
    I'm glad that you are taking art classes. That sounds like sooo much fun to me. I paint (who knew...?)....but I haven't picked up my brushes in years. I do oils on canvas...and seeing these drawings and reading about you going to classes is sparking the interest again... I love to draw...love to paint...and, like you, would love to be in Wanda's world to capture some great photos....and sit and 'draw a spell.' Your drawing is coming along very nicely, and I look forward to seeing it upon completion. I hope you have a lovely day, Marcy.
    Smiles from Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art class! That's wonderful! It's so nice to have a talent that you can develop! It's like sending a big 'THANK YOU' to God! Beautiful!
    Your picture looks lovely so far, I love a work in progress, and I can't wait to see it when it's done.

    And I love Michael's drawing of the two giraffes, very sweet. But I can't see, what is he saying to you?

    When I saw your post title I was going to guess that you were off somewhere screaming of fright that you had seen a grasshopper in your travels!
    Love you!, E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcy
    I too love to draw and paint. Being creative is good for the soul. I think your first attempt is coming along beautifully, and Michael has talent too. It would be nice for the two of you to take classes together. I am sure you will find some great subjects if you look for them, or maybe get permission from Wanda and use one of her photos. Have fun! ((((HUGS)))) T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Marcy you are blessed, I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, I love that this is something you and Michael can share together. I love his giraff's and your flower looks lovely, will look forward to see how you finish it....have a great day my friend...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun, an art class! I would love this if I had the time that is! You are very talented my girl! As is your hubby, how romantic was that! I wonder if this is a new hobby for you Marcy? Or have you always dabbled in art? Either way, I am impressed! Love Di

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good afternoon Marcy, You really are truly blessed. What a romantic fellow you have. I think it's fantastic that you are pursuing one of your dreams. Your picture is beautiful. I hope you are having a lovely day ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. No wonder you like giraffes so much Marcy...That is such a sweet thing for Michael to have done...Art lessons sound exciting Marcy...can't wait to see your finished work of art...don't forget to sign it.

    I had an interest in painting years ago and honestly just recently wished I had kept at it.
    Hope you discover a great hidden talent Marcy.

    The jewelry and the 2 coats jokes were my favorite, but again all were great.

    Have been away from home today or would have been here sooner.

    Luv and Smiles,
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. The giraffes are just adorable and so loving of Michael...what a sweetie!!
    And you...are doing a fabulous job so far with your art..an art class sounds so fun!! I know Sam is really enjoying his on Fridays.
    I LOVE the cow pictures...I love the one in the tub...too cute!!
    As always, your page makes me smile and laugh and happy....
    Love You :)
    Jerelene

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marcy
    Sorry I have been absent without leave for so long - I have been upto my neck in roasts for the last two weeks and been away from commenting and writing for a while. Glad to be back.
    Giraffe paintings are very clever andloved the story about the Dumb Blonde painting the House and Two Coats.
    I like your blog design - makes mine look a bit ordinary. How do you get the fancy edgeing.

    Started writing Oz again. Did some thios afternoon at work - shh! Not much doing there today ~ Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep up that painting AND be sure to get Michael to take the class, too (Although he may not need one!) I loved the info re. Da Vinci. Unfortunately I share that terrible combination: perfectionist and a procrastinator. I'd better get "with it" so I don't leave just a few paintings when I leave life on earth! Jokes were hilarious today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved Leonardo trivia (studying anatomy?) ... I am so fascinated that such artwork can remain alive for centuries, and I can only imagine what his world was like, the lighting in which he painted his materpieces ... and that I, too, suffer from perfectionism and procrastination ... the crosses we bare ... Keep up the art class; it's made for you!

    Blessings,
    Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Marcy....popping in again...making sure that everything is OK in Mary Poppins' world.
    Take care of you....please.
    Smiles,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are blessings too...