Monday, October 19, 2009

Something different for Monday, a meme


The Eight Question MEME

Got this one from Lisa @Are We There Yet

Six names you go by:
1. Mom
2. Mama
3. Marcy
4. Gamma
5. Ganga
6. Hey, Red

Three things you are wearing right now:
1. Long johns and warm pants (it's freezing here today!)
2. Sweatshirt (green) with embroidered eagle that belonged to my late beloved hubby Mario.
3. Robe over all that along with slippers and socks!


Three things you want very badly at the moment (aside from world peace and to have my children going to church):
1. Warmer weather
2. Some home made goodies to miraculously appear for my Consolation group tonight (not really as I do love to bake).
3. Someone else to make all the plans and preparations for our upcoming trip to Phoenix, AZ (this one I DO mean!!)


Three things you did last night/yesterday
1. Prayed seriously and fervently for peace and sweet Michael prayed the rosary with me!
2. Helped Michael put up the first of four reinforcement boards for when he puts the closet rod and shelf back up.
3. Played Skip Bo with loving Michael after church.

Two things you ate today
1. cocoa crispies (I'm on a chocolate 'roll' lately...not so good for a healthy meal)
2. Dannon Activia yogurt (my regular after breakfast staple)

Two people you last talked to on the phone:
1. My daughter Ria
2. My friend Mimi

Two things you are going to do today/tomorrow:
1. Go to Prayer Group
2. Go to Mass, followed by my consolation group where I will be bringing the yet unmade goodies.

Your three favorite beverages:
1. Water with lemon or lime
2. Cherry fruit juice
3. Bailey's Irish Cream

Here's what you're supposed to do. Copy and paste the questions into your blog. Then delete my answers and type in your answers. Send this to 5 people and enjoy the fun!

I invite:

1. Bernie @On My Own
2. Carol @Charli and Me
3. Diana @Welcome To My World
4. Eileen @Umma's World
5. Jackie @ Teacher's Pet
5. Jerelene @Jerelene's Journal
5. Teresa @Do The Write Thing
5. Wanda @Moments of Mine
5. Marina @A Beautiful Hue
5. Angie @Can You All Hear Me at The Back?
5. Tamara @Tamara's Treasures
5. Judy @Just A Little Something For You

Let's see if I can find some info for you from the Internet...

"A meme is any unit of cultural information, such as a practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.

A meme is defined within memetic theory as a unit of cultural information, cultural evolution or diffusion that propagates from one mind to another analogously to the way in which a gene propagates from one organism to another as a unit of genetic information and of biological evolution. Multiple memes may propagate as cooperative groups called memeplexes (meme complexes). Via Wikipedia.

Biologist and evolutionary theorist Richard Dawkins coined the term meme in 1976. He gave as examples tunes, catch-phrases, beliefs, clothing fashions, ways of making pots, and the technology of building arches.

Meme theorists contend that memes evolve by natural selection similarly to Charles Darwin's theory of biological evolution through the processes of variation, mutation, competition, and inheritance influencing an organism's reproductive success. So with memes, some ideas will propagate less successfully and become extinct, while others will survive, spread, and, for better or for worse, mutate. Memeticists argue that the memes most beneficial to their hosts will not necessarily survive; rather, those memes that replicate the most effectively spread best, which allows for the possibility that successful memes may prove detrimental to their hosts."


I read that Jokes, being repetitive are also memes, so have a few on me...


The Driving Test

A professional juggler, driving to his next performance, is stopped by the police.

"What are you doing with these matches and lighter fluid in your car?" asks the police officer.

"I'm a juggler and I juggle flaming torches in my act."

"Oh yeah? Let's see you do it," says the officer.

So the juggler gets out and starts juggling the blazing torches
masterfully.

A couple driving by slows down to watch. "Wow," says the driver to his
wife. "I'm glad I quit drinking. Look at the test they're giving now!"

*************

Dave Barry's 50 Years of Experience


1. Never, under any circumstances, combine a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

2. If you had to specify, in one word, why the human race has not, and will never achieve its full potential, that word would be meetings.

3. It is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. People who push to share their religious views with you rarely care to have you to share yours with them.

5. One does well to separate one's career from one's life.

6. Nobody cares if you can't dance. Just dance.

7. Regardless of the temptation, don't lick a steak knife.

8. The most devastating force in the world is gossip.

9. You should never say anything to a woman that even hints that you think she's pregnant.


10. The one constant among all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.

11. A person, who is nice to you, but mean to the stranger, is not a nice person.

12. Men are like a fine cheese. They start out as milk, and it's up to women to mold them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
~~~Thank You Lord for the blessings of repetition in our lives to help us feel grounded when we need it.

14 comments:

  1. Great humor, good info re. memes (I'd kind of forgotten), and interesting stuff about you, Marcy dear! May your hearts desires come to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And I love your suggestion to T...Let's do it!! If she'll come from Alberta, I'll meet you! I mean it!
    I love the list at the end...and especially number 11...how sadly true that is my friend, Marcy.
    I'm thinking of you and send you a great big smile from south Jawja!
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna play: :))

    Six names I go by:
    Jackie
    Nana
    E.
    Mama
    Sissy
    Piano

    Three things I want very badly at the moment:
    My friend Janine to be pain free and cancer free
    Depression to disappear from the face of the earth
    Something I'm praying about that I will share later..

    Three things I did last night:
    Went to church
    Baked a chocolate meringue pie
    Blogged

    Two things I ate today:
    (It's 1:10 P.M., and I haven't eaten anything.)
    My tummy is rumbly...

    Two things I'm going to do today:
    Pick up my car from the mechanic
    Bake a lemon meringue pie

    Two people I talked to on the phone:
    Mama
    My daughter

    My three favorite beverages:
    Coca Cola
    Hot tea
    Cinammon Dolce Latte (or frappe)

    Hope you don't mind my playing on your blogsite, my friend!
    Love to you from Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love meme's and especially liked this one. It gives a tiny window into who Marcy is! Oh you're much more then a meme, you have a heart of gold and a sweet sweet spirit.
    ps
    also like the meme info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marcy, will try and do this, not sure if I can copy and paste onto my post...I know how to do it onto my blog so it shouldn't be much different....loved your jokes, your sense of humor is a wonderfull gift....Luv ya...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marcy, just catching up on posts that I have neglected for a week. Just don't know what is up with me lately. I read and read and don't post. But I am still here, at the end lot of the village....just taking in all of the village news. hugs....linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMmmmm Baileys Irish Cream, yummy! And now thanks to your post marcy and Jackies pie talk, I have to go eat a donut! I will do the meme one day this week. To many people in the house demanding attention!! Love You, Di

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sleeping pill and a laxative...I am still smiling at that thought. As for the meme...I found it so fascinating to learn new facts about you. Thank you for including me. I will share when I find time. As for now, I will be babysitting my three grandchildren for the next few weeks. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Red?...
    Marcy you are too funny, I noticed the key stuck on the number 5 in your listing of 12 people? But still, you're not quite as funny as Dave Barry! Loved all of your post!

    Luv and Smiles,
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marcy,
    I always love reading your posts. And I like memes. It was nice knowing more about you through this meme. And the jokes, always funny.
    Blessings
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marcy,

    I loved reading your meme -you learn so many little things about a person that way that you wouldn't otherwise-, and thanks for tagging me!

    The Dave Barry list at the end is so funny!

    Hope you got warmer weather and are not freezing anymore!

    Love, Marina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good evening Marcy, Thank you for inviting me to do the meme. I will do it next week. It was fun learning more about you ♥ I hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Marcy!!!! This is terrific!!!! And so great for me, especially, as I am getting to know you!!! And the more I know you, the more I love you!!!! And you always seem to tell the BEST jokes!!!! Hope you are having a wonderful week!!! Love to you~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete

Comments are blessings too...