Friday, July 3, 2009

Favorites + Jerelene's tag finished + Winner's tomorrow

Let's start with a few little favorites (my camera was being VERY bad, so I didn't get more favorites for today...maybe it was feeling bad because Bernie is missing her camera? Hmmm...just what I need a sympathetic camera that won't download because a fellow camera is 'kidnapped' or in trouble!)
So sorry about the picture not being good, but I tried several times and this is the best I could get. Wanda, could you please drop by and help me here? This is a porcelain basket with white flowers that my mother's good friend Josephine gave to me when I was only 14 or 15...it's really so pretty and one of the few things I have left from her. Jo had no children of her own and my mother befriended her when she was in dire straights, then Jo met and married a very wealthy man and she always remembered me with something on special occasions. I treasure her thoughtfulness and promise to get a better picture.


Here is another treasure from my mom's mom, my grandmother in Nebraska who I saw only in the summer and not too many summers before she passed. It is a painted egg in the original basket she sent it to me when I was just a little girl, so it has some age on it for sure!


Yet another view of it (guess I need to take these things OUT of the China cabinet to get clearer pictures):

Now for the tag from Jerelene (so sorry, Jerelene, but the guessing and awards got me waaaayyy behind!) If anyone reading this would like to delight us with this info on yourself, please copy and paste into your next post and then change the answers (unless mine are just on target for you):
1. Color **** top three= green, orange, red
2. Dessert****chocolate almond ice cream
3. Smell****the way the house smells on Thanksgiving..turkey, stuffing, warm veggies, hot rolls, and PUMPKIN PIE (this is copied from Jerelene as it's right on target for me too)!!
4. Flower****How does a flower fanatic choose? Roses, gardenias, carnations, daisies, poppies, blue flax... (someone stop me!!)
5. Animal****Yet another tough one...definitely all baby animals...dogs, cats, bunnies, horses, giraffes, panda bears, owls, all birds...guess this proves that I am related to Noah!
6. Month****April & May for the beginning of Spring
7. Beverage****water with lemon and also 1% milk
8. Pair of shoes**** flip flops when it's warm and clogs when its cold
9. Snack****chocolate chip cookies & lately potato chips (yikes)
10. Song****The Hawaiian Wedding Song by Andy Williams, Let There Be Peace ( a song we sing in church) and How Great Thou Art
11. Book****The bible, along with uplifting books, information packed books and mysteries
12. Fruit**** Strawberries, bananas, green grapes, watermelon, fuji apples, peaches, pears...
13. Hairstyle**** down with soft curls and a band around my head
14. Piece of clothing****This really old 'skort' dress that I can slip on and do yard work or whatever, but now too tattered looking to go to the store in any more.
15. Store to clothes shop****Kohls
16. Season****Spring, but I do love them all for special things they bring..
17. Hobby****Blogging, knitting, reading, gardening, crocheting, studying new languages.
18. Things to collect****Nativity sets...now specifically unusual ones as I have sooo many!
19. Movie****I love all the Disney movies, but The Ultimate Gift was so good and for hilarity Liar, Liar.
20. Restaurant****Outback, Cracker Barrel and Olive Garden
Tonight I will be writing down every one's name and doing the drawing for prizes for the 100th post thing and the guessing!

Here are some cute signs and a few funny jokes:


















*****
The kids filed back into class Monday morning.They were very excited. Their weekend assignment was to sell something, then share with the class how they were successful.Little Mary led off, "I sold girl scout cookies and I made $30," she said proudly, "my sales approach was to appeal to the customer's civil spirit and I credit that approach for my success.""Very good," said the teacher.
Little Sally was next, "I sold magazines," she said, "I made $45 and I explained to everyone that magazines would keep them abreast of current events.""Very good, Sally," said the teacher.

Eventually, it was Little Johnny's turn. The teacher held her breath. Little Johnny walked to the front of the classroom and dumped a box full of cash on the teacher's desk. "$2,467" he said."$2,467!" cried the teacher, "What in the world were you selling?""Toothbrushes," said Little Johnny."Toothbrushes?" echoed the teacher, "How could you possibly sell enough toothbrushes to make that much money?"
"I found the busiest corner in town," said Little Johnny, "I set up a chocolate chip cookie stand and gave everybody who walked by a free sample.They all said, “This tastes like POOP!" Then I replied, “It is. Wanna buy a toothbrush?!!"

*****
How To Ask A Man To Do Something
Always remember these six important rules when asking a man to do something:
1. Make sure the man is conscious.
2. Crash the hard drive on his computer and line the bird cage with the sports section.
3. Be brief! Limit your nagging speech to two, three hours, max.
4. Reward him for cooperative behavior. Offer to cook him something that doesn't have a peel-back cover.
5. Punish him when he refuses to cooperate. Microwave his remote on high power for 55 minutes. Rotate 1/4 turn, and microwave again for another 35 minutes.
6. Use "would you" or "will you" instead of "you'd better" or "do as I say and no one will get hurt."
(Actually, those are kind of sad...think a smooch, a hug and some nice words would work better...then, if that doesn't work, frozen marbles down his back ought to do the trick!)
~~~Heavenly Father, I thank You for the blessings of favorite things that bring sweet and cherished memories.

9 comments:

  1. I love learning new things about you, but I especially like when I try to answer it and see that I was right! I knew you'd have a hard time with the flowers and the animals, and I guessed it would be Spring for planting, and I also guessed right on the Nativity sets! I am getting to know you and others, and I'm finally retaining some facts!
    I often think people must think me so rude because I seriously have a problem for retaining things! I forget whole conversations I've had sometimes, I am always asking family members "Did we have a conversation about this? Did we discuss this already?" And I'm incredulous to learn that the answer is yes! Oh well.

    Try not using the flash sometimes when you are taking indoor shots, I learned that from one of those 'decorating' blogs I visit. I'll have to see which one to give the girl credit. Sometimes that helps for me when I'm getting a glare, but sometimes the picture is then a little blurry. It's all trial and error. Wanda and Jackie are like pros, I'm sure they can help you!

    I enjoyed all the jokes!
    Great post!
    Enjoy your Holiday weekend!
    Love,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful keepsakes you have kept all these years - thanks for sharing. I also loved reading all your favorites. You and Nalley share the same favorite ice cream flavor! A very fun post today. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely enjoyed the post althought I must say I control the remote so micrwaving would be a detrement to myself.

    The sotp sign was hilarious, stop my husband dead in his tracks.

    I love your favorites list and actually agree with your choices on more than one. I love How Great Thou Art... have you heard carrie underwoods version... awe.

    Turkey is my favorite holiday hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcy...I could still tell your favorites were very pretty...as Eileen said the flash may be the problem...I have things from my mother's best friend too, who never had children of her own. I loved the coffee bar sign threatening to give caffeine and a puppy to an unsupervised child...active kids and puppies...funny visual...Thanks for your comment this morning Marcy...I left replies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marcy, great post and I can see well enough to know your favorite thing from your mothers friend is beautiful, as well as the egg from your grandmother. Jokes gave me a chuckle, have a wonderful July 4th....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked getting to know you better. I, too, collect nativity sets--mainly second hand ones. I mix and match pieces, have incomplete sets, etc. Kind of "shabby chic" nativities....

    Have I told you that I appreciate the fact that your humor is "clean"? So much that passes for humor has a raw or profane edge to it, but I find everything you pass on to be in good taste and just plain funny! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marcy,Marcy,Marcy, you can't fool me. Nope. Because I know. Yep, I do. I know that if you take the beautiful Friday Favorites out, Yes that's right I said OUT, of the china cabinet, There is this feeling,an urge so to speak. You and I both know what it's all about don't we? That's right, let's spell it before we say together, D U S T. It's alright to say it now Marcy, dust. See it wasn't so bad was it? It's the reason why I walk right on by that big baby. If I open the glass ( more cleaning )doors to the china cabinet, well I guess I would call the feeling shame. Shame on me for not cleaning and dusting everything in there! All the pretty glass treasures collected over the years with their own private collection of dust!
    Seriously though your treasures are beautiful. And I really loved the painted egg. I have to say that I have never tried chocolate almond ice cream. I will have to do a seek and find on this! I remembered your nativity collection Marcy,it was amazing!
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for Diana for daring to say the 'D' word! I have 2 cabinets with mainly glass in but visitors tend to get just the evryday glasses to drink out of because getting them from the cabinet is downright embarrassing! Are we ALL like that then? I thought it was just me!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can tell a lot about a woman by the contents of her china cabinet... &;o) Loved reading your tag! These are so much fun! And the jokes and pictures are always so funny! There are always lots of smiles over here. &:o)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are blessings too...